"Why the Death of Greatest Hits Albums and Reissues Is Worth Mourning"

All music. All the time.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ShadowFierce
Site Admin

"Why the Death of Greatest Hits Albums and Reissues Is Worth Mourning"

Postby ShadowFierce » Tue May 10, 2016 10:12 am

Pitchfork on the money here with this -
http://pitchfork.com/features/article/9 ... -mourning/
Darkfloor Sound

Intl.Debris
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: "Why the Death of Greatest Hits Albums and Reissues Is Worth Mourning"

Postby Intl.Debris » Wed May 11, 2016 9:24 am

Not sure about that on the reissues, so many albums seem to be getting the 'remastered / deluxe / super-deluxe' re-release bundle these days. Any anniversary seems to be enough to pull out another reissue (Everything Must Go and The Holy Bible by the Manics have had both 10 and 20 year anniversary editions), while bands as historically irrelevant as The Bluetones and Sleeper recently had 2CD deluxe reissues. Labels like Sundazed do an incredible job mining obscurities from the '60s and '70s and keeping them in print, keeping the word out with frequent vinyl repressings. I actually follow a blog called who manage to post info on at least one new upcoming reissue every day of the week.

It seems like we're on the cusp of this finally happening with electronic stuff, too. Biosphere's slowly going through his back catalogue and repackaging it all as 2CD editions (Microgravity and Patashnik so far), the Aphex albums on R&S/Apollo have had a couple of remastered repressings in recent years, and Underworld's first two have received deluxe treatment.

ShadowFierce
Site Admin

Postby ShadowFierce » Wed May 11, 2016 2:05 pm

I agree with you on the reissues, there is a lot of that flying around. But the points raised about the greatest hits comps are interesting.
Darkfloor Sound

Intl.Debris

Postby Intl.Debris » Thu May 12, 2016 9:02 am

Yes, it's true. You still get a greatest hits package promo wall in the record shops at Christmas, but they're definitely being gradually replaced by online playlists. I got into a fair few bands through best ofs, they were really important. I still have one or two.
Sometimes they don't work, of course (I'm looking at you, FSOL)

Return to “Music”